Monday, January 28, 2013

Gravy


I braved the 15 degree weather and went up to the Salvation Army on Saturday.   The primary purpose of my trip was to find some colored glassware for a current project.  If something struck my fancy for Young House Love's Unofficial Macklemore Thrift Store Challenge, that would be just gravy.


I only got the gravy.  No taters.  But I got lucky.

Really Lucky.

Here's what I found:

The chair rang in at $12.99 and the fabric was a mere $1.99!  I was within the $20 limit of the Challenge
My initial vision was to reupholster the chair with the excellent deco fabric and paint the legs with a mustard color similar to what is in the fabric. A rich chocolate or black seemed a little safe and less inspired to me.

Thrift store chair

I immediately got to work.  I figured out how to use a socket wrench and disassembled the chair.



Disassembled chair

I anticipated covering the back of the chair would be the biggest challenge of this project.  I even tried to prepare myself for disappointment - - either the cover would be way too loose or way too tight.  I had unpleasant visions of the seam ripper.  I was worried.  

The original cover did not have a seam across the top - only on the sides.  I thought duplicating this folded design would be tricky. So I designed a pattern with a top seam. 

I traced the back onto a piece of tissue paper and then retraced my original pattern onto another piece of paper to add a 1/4 seam allowance, making the final pattern piece. Before cutting the first piece I ensured the print was centered beneath the pattern.


I then removed the pattern from the fabric and used the cut fabric as my pattern for the back piece, matching some of the triangles that would intersect at the side seams.   When the two pieces were finally cut, they were already pinned and ready to sew.

Matching fabric


I sewed the two pieces together using a zig zig stitch and a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  When I slipped the piece over the back, it fit!  Like a glove!  I was so surprised and proud!  The only problem was the zig-zag stitch wasn't quite tight enough.  You could see some of the thread.  I adjusted the settings and stitch, and sewed a straight seam over the existing zig zag.  I couldn't believe it worked out and I didn't have to use a seam ripper. 
I then enlisted my husband's help for stapling the fabric.


I altered the direction of the pattern here for a little extra zing and at the base of the chair.  He cleverly centered the fabric and pinned it so that it would stay in position. After pinning, we secured the fabric with staples on the opposite side.


Then it was time to tackle the base of the chair.  I began by roughing up the surface with a little sand paper and filled two small knicks with wood putty.


Ideally, painting the base of the chair would have been done with spray paint but it's just too darn cold outside and we don't have proper ventilation indoors.  I had to resort to a brush. 
I started painting and realized the mustard color wasn't working for me. 


So I switched to black.
 Much better.



The brush didn't leave as many imperfections as I feared, but there still are imperfections.    I hope to fix them this spring. 


I don't think gravy has ever looked so good!

Macklemore thrift store challenge chair

Macklemore thrift store challenge finished chair profile


1 comment:

  1. Wow. You did a really good job. That chair looks really neat. I'm jealous that you have a good thrift store. I haven't found one here that has good stuff at good prices.

    ReplyDelete