Sunday, April 14, 2013

Unlikely Curation


I bought a vintage paint by number when I bought the supplies for my entry into the Macklemore Challenge. I never would have considered adding a paint by number piece to my decor had I not seen a neat collection in a magazine.  Of course, I can't find the precise inspiration in print or online.  I did, however, find these:

Paint by Number Wall
Paint by Number Wall 





Above source: Betsy Speert   

Left source:  At Home On the Bay

This blogger also has a nice assortment of photos.  



 Pretty neat and unexpected, eh?

was confident I could restore this unique beauty.




First up, I needed to repair the scratch and hole with wood filler.











I also bought some matte medium, as I only had gloss, and thought I may need an additive to match the original paint.  Can you believe I still have some gloss medium left over from college?! I think I've mentioned that my stash of craft supplies is a hoarding concern. Anyway, I didn't need the medium after all.  The paint's sheen (or lack thereof) matched the piece. I will take the fifth on whether I returned the unused medium.



Once the filler dried, I applied more salve: straight out of the tube acrylic paint. 

Paint by number detail  
I am very proud of how well I was able to match the colors, but think I should have used more filler on the scratch. 

From a distance, however, I think it looks pretty great.  You'll just have to trust me for now.





This ship is just about ready to set sail!

Stay tuned for other improvements- a matte, frame, and wall to hang. 

No comments:

Post a Comment