Friday, March 1, 2013

Specialty

My black beans and rice have been a signature dish since college. The first time I had black beans and rice, a friend who worked at the beloved (now former) Cafe Gardens prepared them with bell peppers and tomatoes. Later a gal from Miami, who also lived in Rawlings Hall, showed me how to prepare Cuban black beans.

Over time I developed my own recipe.  It became a favorite back then and is still frequently requested.



My recipe:

Large 28 oz can of black beans or 2 15.5 oz cans, partially drained
1 10 oz can of Rotel, partially drained 
1 medium to large onion, diced
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs black pepper
1 tsp cayenne 
4 tbs balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup cilantro, chopped

Combine all of the ingredients except the cilantro in a pot over medium heat.
Do not cover.
Stir occasionally.
When the onions have become transparent, add the cilantro.

Stir and warm the cilantro for about 3 - 5 minutes.

Serve over rice with cheese, sour cream, and chips.



Notes:
I feel old when I think about this dish. Is it possible that I've been making this for over 15 years? Yowzers.

When I partially drain the beans and Rotel, I don't bother with a colander. I just use the can lid to help.

In my dorm days, as well as time on 4th and 5th avenue, I used fresh tomato. I've come to realize that a can of Rotel yields the same flavor with less effort.

My measurements of the spices are approximate. I am able to judge by sight, but hopefully my estimates are helpful to you. Obviously the cayenne brings the heat, while the balsamic adds sweetness.

It is critical to allow the onions to cook until they are transparent. Otherwise they're a bit too overpowering.

Conversely, cooking the cilantro too much diminishes its flavor. A quick warm such that its color remains bright is perfect.

Black beans and white rice will never be as magical as MSG laden yellow rice. Black beans over white rice can, however, be pretty darn satisfying. I use whatever white rice I have on hand which is often either jasmine or basmati. 

Chips and sour cream are a relative new addition. Perhaps since I abandoned MSG yellow rice, I could replace it with some other indulgences.

Over all these years, I have remained faithful to my cheese: extra sharp white cheddar. 

Simply pureeing the beans yields a great dip or base for taco salads. 





5 comments:

  1. I know these beans! I have tried to recreate them since the first time I had them during your Gville days. They never turn out quite like what I remember, but maybe now they will. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have to ask your hubs to find the cumin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Not this time! Man we need a new kitchen with better organization!

      Delete
  3. Yay!!!!! I love those beans. I think about them all the time! I'm so glad to have the recipe, but I would enjoy it even more if we still lived together and could gossip while we ate them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing beats white extra sharp cheddar!! Miss you and your wonderful cooking! `Janny

    ReplyDelete